Be still!

It was fairly early in the morning, my most productive time of the day, when a sheepish girl asked, "Mommy will you sit on the couch with me?"   I followed her into the living room and sat down.   I thought about what we were going to do on the couch, but after a few moments of silence, I realized it would be just sitting.  As I was sitting there trying not to get ancy, I thought about a hundred other things that were asking for my attention.  

I am, I believe, a horribly awesome multi-tasker.  I brush my teeth while doing laundry.  I clean the shower while I'm taking one (it just makes good sense.)  I accumulate the trash in my car to one central location at stop lights.  I scroll pinterest for ideas while I ride my stationary bike.  The list could go on, but the idea I'm trying to get across is this; I can't sit still, nor can my mind.  I would like to blame all of this on ADD to save face, but that wouldn't be the truth.  The truth is that I have a very difficult time clearing my mind of the to-do list that runs like a ticker through my head.  I can be incredibly productive, but I wonder sometimes at what cost.

In Psalm 46:10, God tells us to, "Be still and know that I am God."  I can hear him now, and his voice sounds an awful lot like my husband's, "Just stop!  Stop what you are doing.  Slow up, sit down and spend a little one on one time with me.  I don't want to compete with your to-do list, I want to have your mind fully engaged and focused on me."


Let me tell you, this is one spiritual discipline that I have to work daily on, but God is patient and willing to wait for me to realize that he is more important than laundry and dirty dishes.  He ranks higher than cutting the grass and paying the bills.  He is loving and full of grace that covers my faults and failures.  He is still and he is waiting right there for me to cuddle up next to him on the couch.

Comments

Popular Posts