If a shepherd had a blog

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.


It is that common thread that ties us to fields of grass and words of the soul breathing fresh praise.  He is David, a poet warrior.  I too write in rhymes, though I stumble short of such bravery.


He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.


He sat among them, their shepherd.  Heard their bleating beyond the stream and over the hill.  The pale morning sun warmed the face upturned to heavens, upturned to creation, Creator.  So beautiful was the day that it seemed the very wind was whispering amazement.


. . . and he sings!

He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

The eyes of the shepherd lower, but his ears move sharp to the rawness of nature.  He is vigilant to the needs of his flock.  He is their protector.


Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me;

The boy, the shepherd, he clings to this promise.  He holds it close to his body, wrapped tight like a sling.  It is his belief that he is protected as he radiates bravado.


your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Did he know?  Did he foresee that his praise would be tested?  That the very confidence in the God of heaven would be called upon away from this peaceful scene and into the rotting field of battle?


You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.  You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.


For one day he stands in the shadow of a giant, and he quickly runs to meet his foe.  Laid aside and behind is the protective armor of kings, and he calls in confidence upon the mercy of God Almighty.

Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

The shepherd boy slays evil in the name of the Lord.  He lays giant warriors on their faces and removes their power, their haughty heads.

And the Word says, "So we say with confidence, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.  What can mere mortals do to me?'  Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you.  Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.  Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." (Hebrews 13:6-8)

Looking to the shepherd, the God anointed, God appointed I will remember that my giants shall be defeated.

Comments

Popular Posts