Seeing a beautiful life

It was last year that I posted my list of thanks each day in November, and I had no shortage of things to say.  When you really focus, you see that there is greatness all around you.




I am daily reminded of the goodness of God.  I see it on the faces of my children, and not just in the smiles but in the temper tantrums and ugly attitudes.  I feel it in the warmth of my home.  My home that hasn't been dusted in weeks and displays the art of fingerprints on the walls.  I touch it in the embrace of my husband who stands imperfectly by my side.

It overwhelms me when I see the beauty of this life.  It is painful and difficult, but also it is lovely.  I'm learning that a life does not have to be perfect to be blessed.  All that I have and all that I do not have are gifts.  My hands are open to receive what he has given, and also to what he has taken away.  The good and the bad have been given to God, and he is the one who can change my perspective.


He makes beauty out of ashes.  He turns sorrow into dancing.  And who are we to say we know what is best?


I believe God does this for every one of us.  We don't always see what he sees.  The picture blurs in front of eyes that are hurting and discouraged, but it doesn't change.  God's truth, his promises, do not waiver.  He tells us that he is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)


And he tells us we are loved.


I feel small in these moments of realization.  I feel I am a speck of matter, inconceivable to the vastness of the universe.  And yet I do not feel lost, but found.  I am not invisible, but seen and known and treasured.


His words are truth, and his love is written.  "I have called you by name, you are mine."  (Isaiah 43:1)


Comments

Popular Posts